Saturday, September 5, 2009

Rule 5

Ever wonder what another owner looks for in the the Rule 5 setting? This is my personal scouting report on the best players by position.

C - After looking over the top 4 catchers, they are really posers. I would consider Jim Higgins as a backup and maybe even a starter. May not hit well but he will give the pitchers the best chance of success with his pitch calling and defense. There are a couple others listed way down the list I would consider just as good if you need a quality defensive backup.

1B - Eddie Reese is rated by my scouts as the best, but I wouldn't even consider drafting him due to fact he is not ready for the ML.
Michael Tamura his hitting and fielding could grow into the position, he is not really ready for ML action and I wouldn't consider drafting him due to his health.
Ryan Moreno is actually the best of the three in my books, he is not ready for the NL either and I wouldn't consider him with his low makeup.

2B - Junior Mendoza probably comes on most boards as the best but I would only consider him for COF. My board is littered with wannabes but none can play the position well enough to be considered, and most would be hard pressed for an OF position.

3B - I didn't even find one at the listed position that deserved the time of day.

SS - There are several available that would make great IF/OF utility bench players but none of them will wow anybody at the plate. Since there are so many I am not going to list them and they are all about the same.

LF - If your looking for a power hitter, even a stop gap moldy one, forget it. I didn't even find a player I would consider drafting even for 1B.

CF - There isn't a player I would even consider a bench player at any position let alone play the position.

RF - Theo Darwin is the first one that comes up on the list. He is intriguing due to the fact that he could be a walk machine.
Weldon Reynolds could be an interesting choice with his power.

P - Danys Bournigal is probably the only player in Rule 5 that should have been protected. He is ML ready though I would be hard pressed to use him as a closer with his lack of durability. He can give you up to 70 innings a season easy in a setup role but not every day.
Coco Sweeney would make a good long reliever as I don't think he is quite ready as a starter. He could be good in the future on the right team.
Marty Cameron would be an interesting pick but is not ready for the ML at this time.
Kiki Carrara interests me because he is ready but suffers from the lack of durability.
Junior Torres would be a good choice as a long reliever and emergency starter.

There are several pitchers that could are good enough to be used as stop gap measures that could surprise everyone but no one I would consider consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment